KONJAC AND WEIGHT LOSS
As little as 4g of konjac powder per day can promote weight loss, lower LDL cholesterol, and assist in the control of both types of diabetes (McCarty, 2002). Specifically, just one teaspoon of konjac powder taken with meals can markedly reduce the effective glycemic index of a meal by delaying gastric emptying and slowing the break down and absorption of carbohydrates (McCarty). In fact, several studies have demonstrated that konjac root glucommmanan supplementation decreases caloric intake and increases weight loss, even among subjects who are not consciously dieting (McCarty). This may be due to konjac’s viscosity which promotes satiety and feelings of fullness. It has also been shown to decrease fat mass/improve body composition and improve high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C)/TC ratio. Moreover, combined with exercise, konjac fibre significantly increases the reduction of leptin, a hormone which regulates body mass through its effects on metabolism and energy intake (Chua et al., 2010).
Although optimal daily dosage for konjac powder as a supplement has not been formally established, the recommended dosage for weight loss is 1g three times daily, 1 hour before meals.
– Konjac is gluten-free, and because it is mostly fibre, it is an insignificant source of carbohydrates and calories.
– Konjac powder lowers the glycemic index of the foods you eat.
– Konjac fibre promotes satiety, or feelings of fullness, making it effective at controlling appetite and helping with weight-loss.
– Konjac powder is one of the most powerful thickeners (absorbs about 10x its weight in water!), giving it great value culinary value and usefulness. A little goes a long way!
– Konjac powder is the perfect addition to shirataki noodle recipes. It allows sauces to adhere to the noodles creating flavourful, mouth-watering dishes. You will never miss the carbs and calories you are saving!