What is better comfort food than rice pudding? Whether its for breakfast, a snack or dessert, its always a delicious treat. Unfortunately, traditional recipes also deliver a hefty dose of carbs from white rice, refined sugar, and saturated fat from heavy cream or milk. Not a whole lot of nutrition of any kind either. This version is not just sweet, creamy, chewy and satisfying, like the original, but it is grain-free, low calorie, low-carb, as well as packed with fibre, protein and nutrients. It can easily be vegan, if you use non-dairy milk and vegan protein powder. Even if you use a low-fat milk, the konjac will thicken it, and provide creaminess. This is guilt-free indulging at its best, so go ahead and stir up a pot and get eating!
IngredientsFor: 2 Servings
- 1 Cauliflower Chopped to 'rice' texture in food processor
- 2 Cups Milk (unsweetened, plain or vanilla dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Sweetener, to taste (I used 1/2 tsp pure stevia powder)
- 1 Scoop Stevia-sweetened vegan vanilla protein powder (whey or vegan)
- 2 tbsp each Goji berries and raisins (or preferred fruits, nuts and seeds)
- 2 tsp konjac powder
- Heat cauliflower, vanilla, sweetener and milk in a medium sized pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until milk starts to bubble. Turn heat to medium-low and add protein powder. Simmer until cauliflower is tender, but still holds its shape. Stir in 2 tsp konjac powder and let thicken. Serve warm or cold.