This sweet tart dressing is one of my favorites. It can be used for a warm dressing over meat or a warm salad, or cold over greens and veggies. I like it thick, but adjust the consistency to your liking. If you don't add sweetener, it will be tart and zingy, if you do add a bit, it will play up the natural sweetness of the blueberries, red onion and cider vinegar. Again, adjust sweetness according to taste. This dressing is oil free. I like to add a fat when I am using it for a salad, such as nuts, hemp seeds or goat cheese. My favorite way to use it is served over massaged kale, roasted sweet potato and hemp hearts.
- 1 Red onion Peeled and diced
- 1 600g bag Frozen blueberries
- 1/2 Cup Cider vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 tbsp Sweetener (or to taste) (stevia, maple syrup or honey)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tsp Konjac powder
- Simmer red onion and blueberries in the vinegar and water until soft. Add sweetener and season, to taste. Turn off heat and add konjac powder, starting with 1 tsp. Let cool a bit and then adjust consistency (either add more konjac or a bit more water. Serve warm or cold. Keep refrigerated up to 5 days or freeze.